First, there is a good deal of ballyhoo going about regarding the fact that the number of registered Republicans outnumbers the number of registered Democrats for the first time in Kentucky history.
It should be noted that this fact — the excess of 2,491 voters, 1,612,060 to 1,609,569 — represents only 45% of all Kentucky registered voters, Democrats, Independents, and others composing the remaining 55%.
And before Republicans gloat too much, they may wish to consider the following: it is entirely possible that numbers of “other” registrants have simply registered as Republicans in order to be able to vote in primary elections here since Kentucky is a closed-primary state. And, further, not only “other” registrants, but Democrats as well, have registered as Republicans in order to be able to have a say in who the Republican Party sends to the general elections.
“OTHER” is the designation that appears on the Kentucky voter registration form and apparently includes Libertarians, Independents, Greens, Socialists, Communists, etc.
And even if Democrats have crossed over due to disgust with the Kentucky Democratic party because of its incompetence, it does not necessarily follow that those voters will abandon their Democratic proclivities and positions on issues.
And it should be remembered that, even when Democrats have provided the majority of voters, Republicans have taken overwhelming control of our legislature, so having this voting majority signifies little.
Second, Kentucky voters will have the ability in November to vote on a proposed amendment to the Kentucky constitution, and this one is a doozy.
The question will be presented on the ballot as follows: “Are you in favor of amending the Constitution of Kentucky by creating a new Section of the Constitution to be numbered Section 26A to state as follows: ‘To protect human life, nothing in this Constitution shall be construed to secure or protect a right to abortion or require the funding of abortion.’”
Recent polls suggest that more than 60% of Kentuckians support rights to abortion, even if under some reasonable restraints. Like the recent bill passed by our legislature, this codification within the constitution will close the door on ALL abortions, under any circumstances, regardless of rape or incest or the life of the mother. And since the Supreme Court has thrown the control of abortion access to the states, this change in the Kentucky constitution will be the hammer that drives the nail into the coffin of abortion rights here, now and in the foreseeable future.
Not only is the Kentucky constitution awash with amendments and rules and regulations far beyond those contained in the complete Constitution of the United States, this proposed amendment is just another step toward the totalitarian control of individual rights, most notably those of women, and clearly at odds with the viewpoints of the majority of Kentuckians.