Five random observations from the week that was…
- There have been rumors floating around Central Kentucky for months about a Publix supermarket coming to Brannon Crossing. That rumor is still unsubstantiated, but there has been an official announcement, per the Herald-Leader, that a new Publix store is in fact coming to the Palomar area of Lexington. Publix is a popular grocery chain based in the South, known for being customer-friendly, active in the communities it serves, and a very good company to work for. (It’s employee-owned and managed.) Sounds like it would be a great fit for Winchester. Kroger and Walmart need the competition!
- Friday was a very sad day in American history. For the first time ever, a constitutional right granted to individuals has been taken away by a radical Supreme Court. It’s time for Democrats and true conservative/moderate Republicans to unite against the radical right’s overthrow of everything decent, fair, and sensible America stands for. Very soon, it may be too late and we find ourselves living in the world of the Handmaid’s Tale.
- Seen on Friday, soon after the Supreme Court decision was announced: a MAGA motorhome selling hateful and divisive merchandise, was set up in a Winchester shopping center. I wonder if the management of the shopping center or the various stores knew about this and approved of it? (Later that day, they were gone. Someone told me they were asked to leave.)
- Do you like fresh, uncooked, authentic salsa like the kind they serve in the best Mexican restaurants? Did you know you can get some right here in Winchester delivered straight to your door? This week we ordered a sampling of salsas and some Pico de Gallo from Loco Labs. We’re hooked!
- Save the date: November 1, 2022. More details coming soon.